Monday, February 1, 2010

State of Cavenderia

I have been painting quite a bit lately and formulating some plans. I have been painting 28mm Crusader Cuirassiers as Bavarian Taxis Cuirassiers for the Seven Years War Convention. I have nearly completed Cavenderi IR-Owens as Old Glory 15mm figs and have started painting 10mm Old Glory figs as the Reichsarmee. I have also painted up some 15mm Old Glory Egyptians for my Sudan blog but I digress.

I have been threatening to play a game for a long time but never manage it. Therefore, a plan must be put into place.

1.) I have four sets of rules that I wish to play with escalating bases needed for each system.
2.) I can paint 10mm figs the fastest usually painting up 10 figs or one 30 x 30 mm base during my lunch hour at work.
3.) I have complete reference materials for most historical SYW armies, Pengal and Hurt, Biles, Osprey and web sites.
4.) I have a pretty good relationship with my old glory distributor.

Step one.
Might and Reason Sam Mustafa: only requires two (2) bases per unit, i.e. brigade that means I can reasonably paint up three (3) units a week and should be able to paint up two (2) small armies in a month. So my plan is to play a game of Might and Reason around the first of March.

Step two.
Piquet Field of Battle: requires four (4) bases per unit. i.e. brigade, so if I repeat the exact same painting plan as the month of February I should have enough units to play a game of Piquet Field of Battle by early April.

Step three.
Die Kriegspeil: I just purchased this set of rules and have read through it, looks as if most units require six (6) bases per unit i.e. battalion, so I can sprinkle in some grenadiers and follow the same painting scheme allowing me to play a game of Die Kriegspeil in May.

Step four.
Fire and Fury for SYW, large units are required for this game, if I follow my same painting output I could generate eight (8) bases per unit by June.

I have selected the Reichsarmee to paint up as this will let me paint many different uniforms and flags. I think for the allies I will paint up the Hanoverians and Brunswickers. Additionally, I intend to play some additional rules sets when able, Pro-Gloria, Warfare in the Age of Reason, both of which I already have and probably purchasing BAR and Koenig Krieg.

I will attempt to update daily during this run if not at least weekly. Looking forward to this project. I also hope to catch up on some of my old projects, the documentary of the Reich Duke Wilhelms visit and Cavenderi fiction, the fate of poor Dukas has been suspended for some time.

Hope everyone is well.

ciao,

7 comments:

abdul666 said...

Not much of 'real' Cavenderia, actually...

Bluebear Jeff said...

Prinz Geoffrey,

For Hanover I suggest that you look at the following website:

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Hanoverian_Army

It has wonderful backgrounds on each unit, uniform data (along with colored paintings) and often flag images as well.

Not all armies are covered as completely, but here is their list of armies covered:

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Armies


-- Jeff

Bluebear Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frankfurter said...

Of course, I support Koenig Krieg and BAR for SYW battles ... but that's me :)
Sounds like an audacious plan you've got! I can barely see the 15's now, so I decided not to shrink to 10's though they would be really handy for me in my condition!
:)
Ambrose
PS> the guy who created the Fire and Fury for the SYW deliberately made his basing compatible with Koenig Krieg

Capt Bill said...

All of Beerstein awaits the excitement of your new campaign...

Fitz-Badger said...

Sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to pics and battle reports!

BaronVonJ said...

I heartily endorse Might and Reason. It has governed many an Unkerlantian battle.
-J