Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Head west young man...

I have had an itch to do some historical units and have decided to indulge my Francophile desires with the purchase of several bags of Old Glory (OG) 15mm French (50 Infantry, 16 Cuirassier, 6 Cannon and crew and a bag of generals). I also recently painted up a unit of Prussian infantry as Brunswickers. After having gamed the battle of Warburg I have developed an interest in the Western European theater of the Seven Years War (SYW) and am painting up a scenario for Charcon (Charleston, West Virginia gaming convention) for the fall. The con game should be very colorful with French against the allies. Cavenderian regiments will fill the role of the French Swiss infantry units allowing me to discuss imaginationhood with any players as well. I painted up the a few ensigns last night and wanted to post them as an appetizer to my renewed painting.

The corp of my new Armee France, from left to right Infantry Regiments (IR), Champagne, Latour du Pin, Bourbonnois and Rouergue. These units will be accompanied by IR-Enghein, IR-Touraine and several Cavenderian infantry units.

The miniatures are OG 15mm as mentioned earlier and the flags are paper flags I made from David's Not by Appointment blog http://nba-sywtemplates.blogspot.com/search?q=flag

Click on pictures to enlarge.
The uniforms variances of these units is very slight with only variations of what parts of the collar, cuffs and vests are red. The artillery, cavalry and Cavenderian units will add some additional color to this army. I like the small addition of the buttons on the flags.


The picture to the left is of Brunswick Leib regiment Colonel flag pre-1760 from the Seven Years War Project web-site, http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Brunswick_Leib-Regiment I have to admit, this is one of the most interesting flags I have seen of the SYW period. The flag inspired me to paint this unit and this is my first foray into painting button lace upon the lapels.
The miniature is an OG 15mm Prussian and I have nearly completed the first battalion. I will post pictures upon completion.




This is a picture of the rear of the figure photographed from some distance to illustrate how the detail of the flag is still discernible at some distance. I can not praise the SYW Project web-site enough for their presentation of unit flags. I must note though that I have found some discrepancy between the site's uniform descriptions and other source materials. For the Allied army and French I am defaulting to reference material supplied by William Biles guides.

Final photo is a close-up of the detail in the Brunswick Leib flag. I will let the picture speak for itself.
I hope to update the blog a bit more in June as work progresses.
On the Cavenderian front, we are beginning construction of our royal coach and eagerly await the arrival of Duke Wilhelm of Beerstein and have began recruitment of additional members to our diplomatic corp.

6 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

Super flags and belated congratulations on your recent academic sucess!
best wishes
Alan

Frankfurter said...

Outstanding work for 15's

Fitz-Badger said...

Very nice! (button lace on 15mm minis!? wow!)

Capt Bill said...

Glad to see your working on the royal coach, the Reich Duke can't wait to try it out...

Prinz Geoffrey said...

Just realized the French ensigns black boots are actually gaiters and need to be painted white. I will fix this mistake before completing brigades.

A J said...

Well done on your achievement, and those flags look delightful!